The archiepiscopal cathedral – the biggest worship edifice in the city – was built between 1883 and 1885 but its consecration under the patron saints Peter and Paul took place in 1895. Built in neo-byzantine style of pressed bricks with concrete symmetrical girdles, the cathedral impres-ses through the height of the domes - over 35 meters. The relics of some saints kept inhere bring extra spirituality to the cathedral that in 2002 became a mo-narchic place whose prior is the Archbishop of Tomis himself.
The name of the church is The Transfiguration and it is the first church built in Constanţa in 1868, through the contribution of the Greek community. In 1863, Padishah Abdul Aziz donated the land on which the church was erected to the community for the construction of the worship place. In 1878, at the end of the Independence War, the Te Deum in the honour of the Romanian soldiers took place at the Greek Church with the participation of the King Carol I of Romania. Today the church represents both a point of attraction for tourists and an important worship place of the city.
Built in 1911 and also called the "Synagogue of the Ashkenaz", with Moorish architectural influences, it is the city's second synagogue. Before it, in 1908, the Sefardi Synagogue was erected in gothic style but it was demolished after the damages suffered during the war. Currently in an advance state of decay, the synagogue was built by the Jewish community that carried out important trading activities in Constanţa around the 1900's. If in 1902 there were over 1000 Jews in the city, today, their number is barely over 50. Because many of them returned to Israel, most part of the community’s vestiges remained in an advanced state of decay.
Built between 1910 and 1913 in Arabic-Byzantine style, the mosque dominates the old area of the city through the location and the height of the minaret. The first reinforced concrete building in Romania, it was done at the initiative of King Carol as a sign of respect towards the Muslim community in the city. In the yard, we notice the places for foot ablution according to the Muslim tradition, the inside of the prayer hall being dominated by an impressive carpet. Over 200 years old, with a surface of 144 square meters and a weight of 490 kilos, the carpet was handmade and represents a donation of Sultan Abdul Hamid (1876-1909).
The current building is from 1938 when the headstone was laid on the location of an old basilica that dated back to 1872 and that had become too small for the catholic population of the city that was under constant growth. On June 13, the feast of Saint Anthony is celebrated through a series of rituals: the consecration of the lilies, the blessing of the children and of the sick or the touching of the saint's relics, and ends with the procession of the young who carry St. Anthony's statue on the streets around the church.
There was a strong Bulgarian community in town at the end of the 19th century that asked the local authorities for the approval of building their own orthodox church. The church was built in Romanian architectural style but the texts were painted in Bulgarian. Through the reduction of the Bulgarian community in Constanţa, after 1940 the church was taken over by the episcopacy of Tomis. Between 1975 and 1987, the services were held only on the day of the church's patron saint and nowa-days, Orthodox services are kept here.
Erected between 1867 and 1868 during the Ottoman domination in Dobrogea, the "Sultan" mosque was also called "Azizia" because it was built during the time of Sultan Abdul Aziz. In that era, the mosque dominated the area through its 24m high minaret, being the tallest construction in the city under Ottoman domination. Under the administration of Constantinople, construction approvals were given by the sultan himself and it was not allowed to construct buildings higher than the mosque.